Italian Serie A signed a new three year domestic TV rights deal back in 2014 and the new deal will run for next three years from 2015-16 season to 2017-18 season. Sky Italia and Mediaset will share the live match rights in Italy while Fox will broadcast the highlight packages. A Sky Italia and Media set will pay a total of €2.82 billion for the three year deal which is €943 euro a year. Thats around €120 million yearly increase from the previous three year deal (2012-2015).
Oversees deals are expected to bring in another €300 million a year making it minimum €1.3 billion to be distributed among the 20 clubs in Italy’s top flight for each of the next three season. So how does the distribution system works ?
Italian Serie A TV Rights Money Distribution Model:
Unlike the other top 4 european league’s Italian Serie A Tv rights money distribution is more complexed with yearly tv rights money divided into several pots of payments. 2015-16 will be the first year in the new deal and this is how the tv rights money will be distributed among 20 teams.
A) Domestic TV Rights Money (€943 million per season)
- Equal Payment: 40% of the €943 million will be distributed equally between the 20 clubs which amounts to around €16.2 per club.
- Club’s Resourses based payment: 30% will be distributed according to the club’s appeal in Italy. (25% according to support base of every club (for example number of club members, attendance, season tickets sold) and 5% according to the population of the area club belong to)
- Historic Merit based payments: further 30% will be distributed according to several portions. 15% according to league positions in last 5 years. 10% according to historic results (league positions for more than 5 years) and 15% according to league position last year.
B) Oversees TV rights money (€300 million per season)
Oversees prize money is distributed according to following model.
- 40% divided equally (€6 million per club)
- rest 60% is divided among only top 10 teams according to how they finish from 1st to 10th place. top three champions league places gets around €27 million from this payment plus the €6million equal payment making it €33m for top three teams. Europa league places 4th to 6th get €18 million plus €6 million equal payment. 7th place gets €14.4, 8th place €12.6, 9th and 10th get €9 million plus the equal payment of €6m
So how much every club in Italian top flight will be making at the end of this season ?
Below is the simulation table with the historic results and league places. It might not be hundred percent precise because teams might change places in the league by the end of the season. We will update the confirmed numbers once the Italian league is finished.
Click on the image below to make it bigger
|CLUBS||TOTAL||EQUAL||OVERSEES RIGHTS||RESOURCE BASED||HISTORIC RESULTS|