So we are heading to the last MotoGP Grand Prix of the season where Current championship leader Valentino Rossi will be looking to win his 8th MotoGP world title while Jorge Lorenzo is just 7 points behind the Italian in second place. We take a look at some of the permutations and both riders record at the Valencia MotoGP.
Valentino Rossi is leading the MotoGP championship charts with 312 points after 17 grand prixs in the season and as we head to last grand prix of the 2015 MotoGP season Jorge Lorenzo is just 7 points behind Rossi setting up a grand slam finish to the season. So what are the permutations as we head to final race of the season ?
- If Valentino Rossi wins or finish second in the Valencia Grand Prix he will be champion regardless of Lorenzo results.
- If Lorenzo finish second, Rossi needs to finish third to become world champion.
- A third place finish for Jorge Lorenzo will require Rossi to finish atleast 6th or better.
- A fourth place finish for Lorenzo will require atleast a 9th place finish for Rossi.
- Valentino Rossi will be champion if Lorenzo failed to finish in top 9 regardless of Rossi’s own finish.
So the equation is pretty much in Valentino Rossi hands if he can get the required finish on Sunday he will win his elusive 10th world title which will put him in class of his own. But looking at the past few grand prix’s at this circuit you can not discard Lorenzo.
Valentino Rossi has competed and each of the last 16 grand prix at Ricardo Tormo circuit but only tasted victory two times in 16th attempts back in 2003 and 2004 season. His second place finish in 2004 MotoGP at Valencia was his best result since 2009 where he also finished second on the podium.
Lorenzo on the other hand has won 2 of the last 4 grand prixs at this circuit and he did not finish the race on two occasions. Lorenzo also finished 3rd back in 2009 grand prix in Valencia. If Lorenzo were to become World champion he will be the first man to overcome the points deficit in the final round since Nicky Hayden did back back in 2006.
So its all set for a massive weekend for MotoGP I personally would love to see Rossi winning his 10th world title but I have a feeling it won’t go his way and Lorenzo will take his third world title. What you think about the Valencia Grand Prix and what are your predictions ? let me know your thoughts using the comments below.